Saturday, February 7, 2009

No Mayo Chicken Salad?

I am one big fan of mayonnaise. I love it on sandwiches. I love to mix it with soy sauce and dip veggies in it. I love to use it to make creamy dressings.

And yet somehow, I forgot to refresh my supply when I was at the grocery store yesterday. I know, I could have made some from scratch. I do believe it was the first emulsion I made in culinary school and I have all the ingredients. But I was too hungry and tired to whisk it...and I'm not sure if our eggs are fresh enough. I suppose that will be my indulgence--fresh mayo--if I really do get those urban chickens later this year. Anyway...

Sometimes when you get creative with food, something tasty comes out of it. We had leftover roasted chicken breast in the fridge so I decided to make some chicken salad for dinner:

1 chicken breast, chopped or shredded
3 TBL low-fat vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 scallion, thinly sliced
salt and pepper, to taste

For this sandwich, I used a toasted ciabatta roll from a local Portland bakery, Grand Central Bakery, and piled on the salad. I like the different textures that come with this mix of ingredients: softness of chicken, crunch of almond, chewy of cranberry, crisp of scallion. Not to mention the flavor combination of savory, nutty, tart, and tang.

It was surprisingly tasty with the vanilla yogurt (lowfat organic from Trader Joe's) and quite a bit healthier. I was afraid that the yogurt would be too runny for this application but it seemed to add enough moisture and stickiness to hold everything together.

This salad would be good on a mild bed of greens as well, like butter lettuce. Bon appetit.

No comments: