Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Superbowl-ish Wings

I don't know if you guys watched the Superbowl but if you didn't, you missed a good game. I'm not really a football fan but I like a good competition.

Usually I watch the Big Game for the communal experience and the over-indulgence of snack foods. My favorite is always a good 5-, 7-, or 9-layer dip, preferably homemade and chicken wings--the messier, the better.

There's a place in Portland called Fire on the Mountain. They have a choice of 16 sauces in which to toss their perfectly fried wings. Oh, and btw, they have a vegetarian "wing" option too. I haven't tried it yet. Maybe next time. I wonder if it is less fat grams per wing? Eh, I don't really care.

We got 24 wings. For every six wings you can choose a sauce. We chose Sweet BBQ, Thai Peanut, Tequila Chipotle, and Hot. The Hot was surprisingly good. But I think my favorite is the Thai Peanut. It's got a small kick to it and I love peanuts. They have a spicy range of no spice to El Jefe hot.

They have two locations. The Burnside place is unassuming, somewhat industrial and open. I haven't visited the one on Interstate.

If you like wings or just dipping little sticks of celery into sauce, this is the place to go. I know Red Bull can give you virtual wings, but these guys will give you the real deal.

4225 North Interstate Ave.
Portland, OR 97227
503-280-WING

or

1706 E. Burnside St.
Portland, OR 97214
503-230-WING

Open for lunch and dinner

No comments: