Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dim Sum Airport

Hey, wouldn't that be a great idea? To have a dim sum place in the airport. Just grab a variety of bite-sized morsels for the plane that won't be serving you any food...unfortunately PDX doesn't have that either but I bet it would go over swimmingly. Instead, we took Steph to Wong's King for dim sum before dropping her at the airport. Apparently we were bringing her on a tour of all our faves (so far), I guess.

This was our first dim sum experience in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. I recommend, as with all dim sum places, getting there before 11am. When we arrived at 10:45am, we were seated right away. We didn't even pause at the doorway. The hostess asked us "How many?" as I was walking toward her. By the time we left, there were at least 30 people waiting to be seated and more flowing in from the over-crowded parking lot. But don't get there too early either or the selection will be much more limited.

So, Wong's King, it's a hot spot for dim sum in Portland. Unfortunately for WK, the dim sum in Los Angeles is outstanding. WK gets raves from the locals for its food. I agree that its lunch and dinner menus are outstanding but the dim sum left me wanting. It's unfortunate because I think they are the high bar in town.

Don't get me wrong, it was still good. I really liked the shu mai and the cheung fun stuffed with shrimp. And, look, we still had fun...y'know, I'm not really sure why they still let me take pix of them since I always get them with their mouths open.

What saddened me was the bland sauce in the cha siu bao and flat flavor of the har gow. Steamed pork bun and shrimp dumpling are two of the three pillars of dim sum cuisine (at least here in the States), pork dumpling (delicious shu mai mentioned above) being the third.

We'll definitely be coming back. It is Wong's King afterall. But not before checking out some of the other places in town.

2 comments:

LiveWorkDream said...

Hey Ven, I just did a post on our favorite (and not so favorite dim sum places). Check it out.

We found that dim sum in the Pacific Northwest is seriously lacking. I hope it improves soon.

profdeboer said...

Yes, yes, my dear. Apparently, I only eat (and perhaps chew??) with my mouth open... But dim sum at the airport would be awesome! Heck, dim sum anywhere would be awesome. (...says the woman living in a college town with no dim sum...)