Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Year of Drinking Chocolately

Oh, my dear readers, forgive my lack of posting. Maybe it will be my Chinese New Year's resolution to post more frequently. It will be the Year of the Ox (they're hard workers, right?) as of tomorrow...but let me catch you up on some of the food happenings of yesterdays.

On December 31st, my good friend and bridesmaid, Steph, came to town. Our entertainment was, of course, eating, drinking (hot bevies), and laughing. We didn't hit Voodoo Doughnuts where there are such concoctions as the NyQuil (yeah, y'know, as in "sniffling, sneezing, coughing...") doughnut and the Triple Chocolate Penetration (choco doughnut, choco glaze, with cocoa puffs). But we didn't miss it.

Check it out. There is actually a place that serves drinking chocolate...not to be confused with hot chocolate (or cocoa). Cacao has two location in SW Portland. We went to the one just south of Burnside on 13th Ave.

Cacao refers to both the cocoa tree and the seed from which cocoa, cocoa butter, and chocolate is made. So it seems aptly name. The difference between hot chocolate and drinking chocolate, is freakin' deliciousness...and richness. Hot chocolate is combined with higher percentage of regular milk while the drinking chocolate is with cream, and sometimes infused with spices. I will never go back now.

Steph and I shared the cinnamon infused drinking chocolate and the special spicy dark drinking chocolate. I love dark chocolate and that spicy kick at the end just sent me over the top. Let me tell you, you really don't need much. It's rich. Each serving was about 2 oz. and we were sufficiently satisfied.

Cacao also sells fine chocolates from around the world and from artisans in Portland, too. At the time, I was more interested in drinking it than eating it. I think I'm still a little spoiled from my trip to Europe where I tasted those delicious morsels straight from the charming chocolatiers in Belgium and Frances. Oh man.

But if you can't get yourself to France or Belgium, have a sat at the chocolate bar here in Portland. If you like such things, it will blow you away or send you to bliss town.

Cacao DrinkChocolate
414 SW 13th Ave.
or at the
Heathman Hotel
712 SW Salmon St.
Portland, OR

1 comment:

Leslie R said...

That looks so rich and delicious... and perfect this time of year! Voodoo donuts, on the other hand, sounds dangerous. Kushi would go ballistic at the thought of bacon on donuts!