Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Worth the Wait?

I've written about Saburo's sushi already. It is consistent in its quality and quantity as well as its wait time...although it does seem to feel longer each time. Maybe I'm beginning to show my age.

But as Steph can attest to, it is certainly delicious and filling. I had mistakenly thought that since Steph had lived in Japan for so many years, Portland sushi would not really appeal to her. I was forgetting that she now lives in Bloomington, Ind. where you can't get good, if any, anago or salt-water eel. Can you see the delight in her face?

Anago is different from the "unagi" which is fresh-water eel. Fresh-water eel is what is most commonly served in sushi restaurants (at least on the west coast) when one orders "eel."

I am with Steph on this one and also prefer anago because it has a saltier flavor than its fresh water cousin and usually comes with little or no sauce.

This is me being impatient with Dan as he gets acquainted with our new camera. Alas, my frustration was growing with the limited macro ability of my Elph-y. It has gone to a good new home (I think) with my talented young (7 y.o.) friend who also happened to be the artist of our wedding favor picture. But then, I remembered how long my attention span was at that age.

Ah, but back to the sake. Yes, I said sake.

It's quite a sexy bottle, dontcha think? I tend to be a lighter drinker nowadays so when guests will drink with Dan we'll usually get a bottle of something. This time it was a bottle of local SakeOne. Brewed and bottled in Forest Grove (just 30 mins west of Portland), SakeOne makes Momokawa, Moonstone, and G sakes. We partook of the G Joy. It is a cold sake that was smooth and paired well with our raw fish feast. Look for it in stores or buy it directly from them online.

Anyway, Steph said it was definitely worth the wait.

No comments: