Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Oh Sushi, My Sushi

My husband tells me I have no patience. He's right. But when it comes to salami and sushi, I can overcome...if it is indeed, worth waiting for.

Saburo's is just down the street from the cheese steak place. However, even though the pieces of sushi are about the size of the sandwiches and hoagies, the similarities stop there. Just check out that piece of eel. That's not an optical illusion, it is more than half the length of the chopsticks.

They don't take reservations so people wait up to 90 minutes to taste these morsels of goodness. There is no to-go or take-out. But you can take it with you. I have seen many customers order so much that a table of two walk out with two to-go boxes! It isn't full of teriyaki chicken and rice either.

I am always tempted to do that as well but with raw fish, you gotta eat it right away. I just don't know if I would be up to such a decadent breakfast. I don't usually need a midnight snack after Saburo's, if y'know what I mean.

The fish is fresh. One of my favorite rolls there is the Grand Roll. It's a deep fried, of course--no rice, bunch of spicy tuna around a krab core, wrapped in seaweed and lightly battered. Yum.

Our bill is always around 40 bucks for the two of us. I can't wait to bring my cousins here. (Lisa, you would totally love this!) The sashimi plate always comes with octopus and sweet shrimp. I don't know how they do it for $15.

My favorite sushi places, hands down, are still Matsuhisa Restaurant (Beverly Hills, Calif.) and Sushi Nozawa (Studio City, Calif.). They aren't quite as affordable but everything really melts in your mouth like butter. I've never known raw fish to melt in one's mouth until Matsuhisa and Nozawa.

But I gotta give props to Saburo. Tasty and affordable. I guess that's why we all wait in line for it.

Saburo's
1667 SE Bybee Blvd
Portland, OR 97202
Open for Dinner only.

No comments: