Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The New White House...

"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer...

This victory alone is not the change we seek -- it is only the chance for us to make that change. And that cannot happen if we go back to the way things were. It cannot happen without you."

--Barack Obama, Nov. 4, 2008

I am inspired by the election turnout (the number of people who voted, the presidential win). I am hopeful that America will ban together to move this country forward.

Barack Obama has made huge promises for change. I hope he can deliver some. Y'know, four years isn't really that much time. Everything, whether it's finishing a work project or renovating your home or packing for a trip, takes longer than you think it might. The more people who are involved, the more setbacks or confusion can happen. So, to our soon-to-be White House Chief, I recommend this new White House Chef:

Change starts at home. That's what I say. So bring Suzanne Goin (Lucques, AOC, and Hungry Cat) into your kitchen. She buys directly from farmers and cooks seasonally. I don't see how you could go wrong. I'd want Suzanne to cook for me. Who wouldn't want Sunday Supper everyday?

I learned a lot from Suzanne Goin when I worked in her kitchen. She always looked like this--hair tied back, wearing a black long-sleeve t-shirt, white apron around her waist.

Once I burned my arms (yeah, both of them because they stored the sheet pans above it, stacked tall and I'm short) on edges of the deck oven (commonly known as pizza oven) that was usually set at 450*F or more.

At that point she came by to help me take down the sheet pan I needed. (Something not many Executive Chefs would do for an intern.) Then Suzanne told me the reason she wears the long sleeves is to prevent such burns. Knowledge is experience...or maybe, experience is knowledge.

It is a time for change after all. We will have our first African American president, why not our first female White House Executive Chef?

There was one article that I had read years ago where the interviewer asked if Suzanne would take that job if offered. Her response was only if she had complete control over her purveyors and if she could buy directly from farmers?

I knew there was a reason I liked her.

No comments: