Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Philly for the Phils

Congratulations to the 2008 World Series Champions, Philadelphia Phillies! In honor of your win, I ate a cheesesteak.

I went to this place called Philadelphia's Steak and Hoagies. Y'know, I've never been to Philly, where I'm told by those who have lived in and around the city (shout out to Tory, Holly, and Philo!) that you haven't tasted a cheesesteak or hoagie if you haven't had one in Philadelphia.

Well, I didn't get a chance to hit Philly the last (and first) time I was in Pennsylvania, so I guess I still don't. But this one didn't seem half bad. I ordered a cheese steak, which according to the board is "melted American cheese on top of our thin sliced steak, grilled onions, on a hoagie roll with your choice of sauce or self serve condiment bar."

First of all, I'm told it's supposed to be Cheez Whiz or some kind of soft cheese-like product. I'm not opposed to quality but I think we're getting a little West Coast crazy using real cheese. Secondly, I found a few slices of mushrooms in the sandwich. Not unusual if I had ordered the Mushroom Cheese Steak. But I didn't. Let's just say it was a nice surprise for me.

I liked the hoagie bread. It had a crispy, flaky crust. The steak was thin and tender. I didn't add any condiments but there was horseradish, mayo, mustard, some sort of hot sauce, and I think ketchup.

Anyway, I love meat, bread, and melted cheese. I think you'd have to do something awful to a Philly to make it taste terrible. But I'm not sure how authentic this one is. I'll have to go to Philly to make a sound judgement. I must do it...for all of you.

However, if any of you are interested in trying a PDX Philly, go on Mondays, 6-9pm. Steak sandwiches and hoagies are 1/2 off then.

Philadelphia's Steaks & Hoagies
6410 SE Milwaukie Avenue
Portland, OR 97202

No comments: