Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Food Is Love

I've been saying that for years. I've lived it my whole life. My family, huge eaters and feeders. You really can't have one without the other I suppose. But if you can't say it (and even if you can), you can show it, and boy, can you eat it.

Thanksgiving is coming up. I don't like Thanksgiving. I used to love it. C'mon, so much food how could I not. But one year, a long time ago I wasn't very thankful. There wasn't much T-day-esque food and I wasn't very happy.

It happened decades ago and every year since I think about it. It's almost like a broken record to my faithful readers who have been with me since (oh my goodness!) 2005. My dad died when I was a wee 10 year old the Sunday before Thanksgiving. It was confusing and devastating and I ate a lot (people bring a bereaved family loads of food). I still miss him. He was a man of very few words but he always knew what to say to me.

Every year, around this time I always wish he was around to tell me what I need to hear. For some reason I always get my worst colds of the year right before/around Thanksgiving so I'm never feeling at my best and I wonder what the hell there is to be thankful for.

I know, it's been a beautiful year of love for me (getting married and all). It's been a great food year for me too (working at Lucques, teaching families how to cook). But it seems like so long ago. I'm in a new town, building everything up from scratch.

I have to say, I really miss my L.A. friends for whom to cook a nice meal. Boy, could they eat...and a lot of them could cook too. What I wouldn't do for a little food-love exchange right now...or just a little GNO (Girls Night Out) exchange.

It's really difficult to start in a brand new place.

3 comments:

nostatic.com said...

chi le ma?

LiveWorkDream said...

Hey Ven, I'm so sorry you have such a sad memory to associate with the holiday. Sucks, big time.

Many hugs going out to you.

And remember, you might be starting from scratch in Portland, but you're always among old friends on the web.

-Rene

Anonymous said...

Yes. Some of us feed and some of us are feeders.
Which one am I? You know. I talked to your Daddy on Wednesday, in the rain, he is so happy for you. Believe it. I miss you and will see you soon. Make happy memories now, where you are. Food is love and Thanksgiving is for thanks for that food, thus
Thanksgiving is also love. Love for family and friends.
I will see you soon. Love to you and Dan.