Sunday, January 25, 2009

Closing Out the Year...

with food, of course.

As many of my Los Angeles friends know, I love Chinese New Year's Eve.

I used to gather folks for a sit down dinner at my old apartment and feast on the foods of my childhood.

Unfortunately, last year I was very preoccupied with wedding stuff. This year, I haven't figured out where to go for all my lovely ingredients yet.

So Danno and I closed out the year with a "small" feast. The only thing I made this year was the stir-fried Chinese cabbage. I opted out of making the Oyster Delight that requires an intriguing amount of prep time, the soup with sea veggies, and the mysterious bulbous root vegetable who name in English I have never known but always sparks a debate at the table.

But we did have the steamed chicken with ginger/scallion sauce, roast duck, and roast pork--and Jasmine tea. It was nice.

So the house is clean..well, as clean as one can get it with three furry creatures who shed running around.

Good bye, Year of the Earth Rat. Hello, Year of the Earth Ox.

2 comments:

nostatic.com said...

I'm an ox, so this'll be a good year, right?

Last night we did Vietnamese for CNY. Amazing feast at Phong Dinh in San Gabriel. Hope your year of the ox is great.

http://nostatic.com/blog/2009/01/gongx_facai.html

Anonymous said...

chinese new year's eve is my chinese birthday! and i'm pretty sure the only one that any of us remember, because it's the easiest to remember. haha