Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sushi Ya?

The other day I was craving sushi. Yeah, what a surprise. So I went out to get some at Sushi Ya at the corner of Foothill Blvd and Altadena Dr in Pasadena. This place is usually my go-to place because they're fast when you're at the bar and it's pretty inexpensive. Jason is the owner and head chef. He's always very nice. The only server (every time I go...) is Suni, which is ironic because sometimes when she's overwhelmed, she's not so sunny. But she grows on you. This place is pretty small. There are four square tables and the bar seats about 10. You usually have to wait if you get there after 7:30p.

I was a little disappointed this time. I was served just as quickly and friendly as always but the fish wasn't so good. I ordered miso soup (pictured, left) that was a too sweet but did have plenty of seaweed, spicy tuna roll which I feel is their most consistent roll (and was yummy), and sashimi salad (pictured, below). Now, I'm not sure why I keep ordering it because the amount of dressing is so inconsistent. This one is swimming in it. Most of the time it's like that. Twice I asked for "light on the dressing," and once it was perfect and the other time I asked for more dressing on the side. I suppose I could be a little less high-maintenance and just order dressing on the side but I like salads tossed. It comes with plenty of sashimi too.

But this time, it was weird. I've never gotten a fishy piece of fish from this place before but I got two in that sashimi salad. I don't know what's going on there. Maybe the hike in food prices is hitting them harder than they are letting on. I still like the guys...or maybe it's because I'm chewing more so I'm really tasting things, uh, for a long time. (High priority macrobiotic principle is "chew well"--150x's per bite if you can! I get to about 30. I sure am tasting the food though.)

Sushi Ya (which literally means "sushi restaurant") also has an all-you-can-eat menu, too, with some killer rolls like the Grand Roll and the Bacardi Roll (which they light on fire!). If you're a big eater, it might be worth your while. It's just under $20 for lunch; dinner is 20-something, either $25 or $28. I never get it so I don't remember.

Anyway, if your budget is tight, you want to eat some sushi, and you're in the Pasadena area, you might want to check it out. They are usually very consistent.

No comments: