Saturday, October 25, 2008

Bacon on Pizza--Genius!

I've been having a lot of pizza with bacon on it in Portland. It must be the Portlander's love of smoked, cured meats. But Apizza Scholls at 4741 SE Hawthorne Blvd. is to cry for (just ask my brother-in-law).

Sadly, I have no pictures of my own so I've snagged a few from Apizza Scholls own website. I apologize but the pizza was so good, we ate it up. I know, that looks like a bunch of anchovies on that pizza but believe me, it's delicious slices of delicate bacon, baked on top of handmade dough that's fermented for 24 hours at room temperature. Oh, and it's worth waiting for. It's crispy outside (from the extremely high heat ovens, from 650*F to a whopping 900*F) and chewy inside.

This is also why the crust gets caramelized like so (see photo). It may look burnt but it's not. It's smoky goodness and evidence of their dedication to pizza perfection.

It's a family run joint so everyone works every day it's open (unless sick) or they are closed--like on such days as Halloween and Election Day. Gotta love it.

The Caesar salad was also amazing. They make the dressing fresh daily with raw eggs. Gasp! They are purists. The salad is divine. I can't say enough about this place except "don't go." Some days they run out of dough (remember, it has to ferment for 24 hours) and close early. I don't want that to happen when I go so just stay away.

Seriously, it's too good to eat.

No comments: