Saturday, October 18, 2008

Penn State Creamery...Mmmmmooooo

It would be blasphemy not to talk about the Penn State Creamery since I was in State College, Penn. (which is where Penn State University's main campus is) and I had superb ice cream.

This is where Ben & Jerry came to learn how to make ice cream, like so many before them and since.

This was my first time. Check out that new facility. It's just down the block from the stadium so it gets jam packed by tens of thousands of avid football fans and alumni some weekends.

For $2.50, you get one scoop. My friend, Rose, warned me that the scoops were as big as a baby's head. I didn't believe her. How can you fit that on top of a cone?

Well, they did...and then some. Take a look at that scoop. It's definitely larger than my two fists combined. You can only get one scoop per cone or cup. They don't let you "mix" flavors which I thought was ridiculous since you can do that e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e.

But really, you can't eat that much ice cream in one sitting. I really had trouble getting through my cone. But I did it. Peanut Butter Swirl. Rich pieces of peanut butter mingling with the velvety goodness of vanilla ice cream. And it hardly melted. When I finally got down to my cone, there was no pool of melted ice cream waiting at the tip of the cone. There was barely a trickle. I don't want to know how much fat is in that ice cream.

For three days, I tried to figure out how to carry some half gallons with me on the plane. They will pack it on dry ice for you, y'know. But it would have been heavy and we were traveling for a whole day. They even ship them but it turns out to be $20 (give or take, depending on number of) half gallon that way. It was tough to say "no" to even that. I think that ice cream has crack or a heroin derivative in it. I had it every day that whole week I was there. Chocolate, dark chocolate mint, strawberry, vanilla, coffee mocha fudge...

What is it they say...oh yeah: 4 days from cow to cone. What a glorious four days it is!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wish you lived closer! We have half gallons of PB Swirl & Bittersweet Mint in the freezer now, right alongside a box of stickies.

Unknown said...

Did you try the Peachie Paterno? The creamery holds a two course about ice cream. My dad took the course when he was the superintendent at Meadow Gold's Ice Cream Plant. You should have taken the boys. They love ice cream.

Vanessa said...

I tasted a 1/2 spoonful of the Peachie Paterno (peach ice cream with peach chunks). It was terrific but felt way too healthy ;-P Apparently there is a good creamery on the along the central coast of California called Doc Burnstein's Ice Cream Lab (http://www.docburnsteins.com/). I have not been there but a friend from high school highly recommends it!