Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Taco Cart Taco

When I was working at Lucques in West Hollywood, Douglas, then a pantry cook (he moved up to the line while I was there) ate either a chicken taco or burrito from a food cart (on Vermont near USC) and got so sick that he had to be hospitalized with an I.V. He swears never to eat from a roach coach again. Me, I may just stay away from chicken on wheels.

In my search for good Latin food (specifically Mexican, El Salvadorian, and Cuban) in Portland, I've so far only found one place that is somewhat good. I think I've been spoiled because I lived in California all my life. When I lived in Los Angeles, I couldn't turn my head without bumping my nose on a burrito joint or taco cart. In Stockton (back in the day), I had a longtime boyfriend whose mom owned and cooked at an Oaxacan restaurant. Whenever I came by, she would make me dishes off the menu because she knew what I liked. You really can't beat that.

So, unfortunately, Portland will never have Chinese or Mexican food as good as I had in Stockton. Kiko's Taqueria Uruapan comes close though. Of course I choose the pork options: pastor (marinaded in spices and cooked upright on a spit) and carnitas (slow-roasted or braised pork).

Located in Sellwood on Antique Row, it shares it's space with a couple other carts. But these bite-sized tacos are always my first choice. There is something about the three-bite taco that I find so satisfying. Maybe because I can get a few of them in a variety of flavor combinations in one sitting.

Kiko's tacos were hot and pack a mouthful of flavor and at a dollar each, it's quite a bargain. Danno, as always, got a burrito...the potato and green chile one this time. I believe there was pork involved. I wasn't as taken with the burrito as with the tacos but it was tasty and VERY filling.

Kiko’s Taqueria Uruapan
SE 13th Ave & Lexington St.
Portland, OR 97202
M-F: 11:00 am - 4:30 pm

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Do you remember (back in the day) when you worked at Chuck E. Cheese in Stockton? And we would come visit you and eat the "mistake" pizzas. Good times....