Friday, April 24, 2009

Memories of Those Passed

It's strange that as I get older I know of more people dying. Maybe it's because when I was 6 y.o. I only knew maybe 30 people. Now, 30-some-odd years later, so many more people have touched my life.

Mama Lee's mama (my grandmother) passed away earlier this week and the father of my good friend, Rose, passed last week Thursday.

My grandmother lived in China, Hong Kong, and Canada, raised four kids mostly on her own, and could seriously crochet. How different her life was from mine. Unfortunately I didn't know her very well since she lived in Canada all my life. Neither of us traveled back and forth much and my Cantonese is so bad that telephone calls were awkward at best. I do remember the times that we did spend together...I remember a lot of dim sum, some serious snoring on her part, and when we were all in Vancouver for the World's Fair in '86, she complained about how expensive high tea was at some she-she hotel in Victoria. She, like my mother, would have rather had dim sum.

Rose's dad, Bob, was a very sweet man. I was fortunate to spend time talking and eating (of course) with him that week before Rose's wedding. He grew rubies for industrial use, invented some sort of dongle for ultrasound machines, and professed many things that are outside my realm of scientific understanding. Selfishly, I am most grateful to him for helping bring Rose, my spicy foodie sistah, into my life.

Many are sad because of your parting, Yu Sau and Bob, but effects of your lives will be felt for the rest of eternity. Thank you.

1 comment:

LiveWorkDream said...

Ven, I'm so sorry about your Grandma, and Rose's Dad too of course. But I truly believe that people's souls never go away, they always walk among us.

It's interesting you said you were at the World's Fair in '86. I was too!