Thursday, November 12, 2009

Leftover...Cookies?

You read correctly. Halloween was slow here in the new neighborhood. Danno and I had purchased a mega box of Reese's mini peanut butter cups, then we were given more miniatures "just in case."

I needed to figure out a way to save us from ourselves. We were eating the equivalent of 4 (or more) whole candy bars everyday. Those miniatures are really too easy to eat but our trash can full of wrappers can tell no lies.

We were invited to a dinner party tonight and my buddy asked me to make dessert. I have seen similar cookies with candy Kisses. Surely I could adapt it to work for peanut butter cups...these are two dozen peanut butter cup cookies. Basically I used a half recipe of Toll House chocolate chip cookie dough sans the chips (and I substituted the AP flour with whole wheat flour...hey, it makes me feel better about dessert). They were baked at 350*F in a mini muffin pan for 9-10 minutes. I removed them from the oven and pressed in a mini cup until it was enveloped by the cookie but not overwhelmed by it. They went back into the oven for 3-4 minutes.

I got excited and tried to take one out immediately. C'mon, you would have too. But they need to cool completely before they can be removed whole--think chewy chocolate chip cookie.

The furnace installation guys really liked them (they cooled enough just as they were leaving) as did the dinner party hosts and their friends. I'm hoping I won't have to wait until next Halloween in order to make these leftover cookies again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum! Send a few over this way!! You and your wiley cooking ways, Vaness.
Miss cooking with you-- I'm roasting squash & pumpkin today & would love to share the bounty with you. xxoo Rose