Sunday, November 8, 2009

Kids Test Kitchen

This is my young friend, Zoe. Together we rolled out some home-made fettuccine, which literally means "little ribbons" in Italian. I guess maybe we made "fettuccina" since Zoe wanted extra long pasta.

I couldn't convince her to make them "regular" length because it was "super" pasta. There is something really awesome about teaching children how to cook. None of my culinary school buds had that much enthusiasm when learning how to make pasta and neither did my comrades-in-arms at Lucques.

Apparently Zoe's specialty is fruit salad. She preps with a butter knife so the salad usually consists of soft things like bananas, canned peaches, and sometimes grapes or berries. Once she made me a side of carrot sticks and chopped almonds...also cut with the butter knife. Now, that's some resolve.

After a long day's work, it's all you can do to pick up the phone to order delivery pizza for dinner. But once a week or every other week, think about making food with your kid(s). It's good for everyone! Just look at little sis, Neve, enjoying the fruits of our labor.

If they are under 10 y.o., some easy things you can do are pizza dough or bread, pasta, tossing a salad, mashing potatoes, or shaking heavy cream into butter. Email me if you need recipes or ideas!

Hey, at age 7, my cousin Jenny asked me if I wanted an "egg in a frame" for breakfast. 5 minutes later she delivered a plate with a fried egg embedded in a toast frame. There were no shells. It was one of the nicest breakfasts I've ever had...and she had to pull out her step-stool from the bathroom to do it.

Teach 'em young, you might be able to sleep in some mornings and maybe even get breakfast in bed. Wouldn't that be nice?

No comments: