Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ford's Filling Station

This is a restaurant whose chef and propietor is Benjamin Ford (yes, son of Indiana Jones--but not to be confused with Shia LaBeouf). Ford's Filling Station is unfortunately quite mediocre. But I know of someone interviewing for the executive chef position so that might change soon.

I met up with my friend, Gwen, (she is an amazing decadent dessert maker) for lunch on Wednesday. She had their burger which was good but the bun was too big for the patty. Apparently the burger is one of their specialties. 

I had fried chicken (another specialty of the house). It was crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, as it should be. The succotash that came on the side was not good. Somehow the cooks in the back have forgotten how to squeeze a lemon. I bit into not only one (which is forgivable, I mean, you have to work fast) but two lemon seeds, and then found two others. Obviously someone was too busy to hold their other hand underneath the lemon for two seconds. I know, it's just a little thing but have you ever bitten into a lemon seed before? It's really bitter. The black eyed peas weren't quite cooked all the way and the corn was from a bag.

Maybe I'm a little harsh but I expect more from a pricey gastro-pub. I guess I should have gone for the charcuterie instead. But then again, I'm spoiled having traveled through Europe and worked with Suzanne Goin. You gotta wow me with more than just prosciutto, jamon serrano, sopressata, or mortadella for a cured meats selection.

He is a chef who believes in buying local, though, so I'll give him another chance. But for me, he'd have to step it up a notch in the kitchen or take it down a notch with the pricing.

No comments: