Saturday, July 19, 2008

Mijares Mexican Restaurant

Oh my goodness, I love their enchilada sauce! Mijares is a Pasadena institution. Family-owned and -operated for three generations, the restaurant has two delicious locations. 

My friend, Stephanie (an assistant professor at Indiana University-Bloomington), was "laying over" for a couple days before getting back to Bloomington from her tour of Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Shanghai...all in the name of research, really. So she, Elizabeth (E.), Karen, and I caught up with each other over margaritas and mojitos...uh, and guacamole.

I had a combo plate with a pork tamale and cheese enchilada. It was heavenly but I couldn't finish it. I have this problem of constantly eating chips and salsa if it's in front of me. Anyway, it wasn't quite as good the next day. Probably due to the fact that I ate it cold. Not the best idea I've had but we don't own a microwave and I was too lazy to bake it in the oven.

The margaritas were good and the place was packed on a Friday night. Go figure. I guess they know what they're doing after 50 years.

No comments: